First 5 GPs
Groups specificially for First5 or Newly Qualified GPs (NQGPs) are run in each of the Wessex areas, please see below for links and contacts.
Surviving as a new GP
Produced in association with the Severn Deanery and the RCGP Severn Faculty, this short guide helps newly qualified GPs make the most out of their first few years in practice. Download your free copy now and discover how to make life as a new GP more enjoyable, rewarding and fun.
What is First5?
The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) has developed a First5 initiative to support new GPs from completion of training through the first five years as an independent practitioner. There is more information on the RCGP website but here is brief overview of the 5 pillars underpinning the concept:
1. Connecting with the College: Promoting a sense of belonging and appropriate representation for the First5 cohort within the College.
2. Facilitating networks: Encouraging peer support and mentoring through the development of local networks.
3. Supporting revalidation: Offering support through revalidation for those in the first 5 years post-CCT.
4. Career mentorship: Highlighting opportunities a career in general practice offers and helping new GPs get the most out of being a GP.
5. Continuing professional development (CPD: Identifying areas of CPD which members in the first 5 years feel are not well provided and developing materials that will address their learning needs.
RCGP Website link: www.rcgp.org.uk/membership/join-rcgp-newly-qualified-gps.aspx
First5’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RCGP First5 Social Media accounts: Facebook group: RCGPFirst5 Twitter: @rcgpfirst5
In addition to your local Patch Websites there are also the following groups and resources:
"Dorset First5" Facebook: An active Facebook page where information can be found on socials, locum work, jobs, national meetings, teaching events in the region, questions about pensions/tax forms etc.
If you are looking for a group in your area which is not listed please contact your local patch office
RCGP Wessex Faculty First5 representative: Dr Bryony Sales (email@example.com)
Wessex Faculty RCGP
The Wessex Faculty RCGP is willing to consider applications from members of the Faculty for Bursaries of up to £500 to defray the costs of projects which they wish to undertake. Projects may involve activities such as first5 initiatives, service development within a practice, research, professional study or travel. All innovative projects will be considered which satisfy the agreed criteria.
For further details about eligibility and how to apply please contact the RCGP Wessex Faculty Office
The Clare Wand Fund
The Claire Wand Fund is a charitable fund that makes grants to General Practitioners to fund further education and for the provision of scholarships, including travelling scholarships.
The fund welcomes applications twice a year, at least three weeks prior to the June and December trustee meetings. Please see www.clairewand.org for further information on how the fund operates as well as outlining the application process and criteria for the award of grants.